iRobot Roomba 770 Review – Good Enough for Pets?
The Roomba 770 is not much different than the 500 series but it several tricks up the sleeve such as a newer dust bin, better direction for depositing dirt, HEPA filters, enhanced dust handling, and a newer module for its head cleaner. The first thing you notice about the 770 is, however, how good looking it is. The 770 is as cool as it gets and doesn’t resemble a kid’s toy.
Table of Contents
The iRobot Roomba 770 Review
The iRobot Roomba 770 vacuum cleaner has a more streamlined design, with squared edges that make for a more industrial and “serious” looking product. What makes the 770 so much more interesting are the contrasting surfaces of matte and gloss which are befitting of a modern home’s living room rather than those previous models that looked like plastic.
Last update on 2020-05-28 / Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API
Our comparison – Roomba 770 vs Roomba 650
The interface is cleaner, there are now blue lights on top of the controls which shine often, and instead of five buttons, there are only four in the 770 for tasks such as setting time and scheduling. Based on iRobot Roomba reviews, 770 also has better cleaning coverage and iAdapt algorithm technology has been improved to find dirty more spots faster. Take a look at the 770’s other features.
Features of the iRobot Roomba 770
- 3-Stage Cleaning System: Designed to clean all kinds of floors. Stage 1 makes use of spinning side brushes; Stage 2 uses floor brushes that counter-rotate, and Stage 3 uses the AeroForce technology known as the AeroVac2, which is a powerfully efficient, clog-resistant vacuuming procedure which pulls debris and hair from the robotic brushes and sends them directly to the bin.
- Dirt Detect Series 2: More than one Roomba 770 review has mentioned this technology as a primary reason for purchasing this Roomba model. The Dirt Detect Series 2 is an improved version of the Dirt Detect Series that uses acoustic and optimal systems for dirt detection in more locations and performs concentrated cleaning on them.
- Protective cushioning: A soft-touch, molded bumper acts as a protective cushion between walls, furniture, and other household objects and the 770’s bumper.
- Infrared remote: You can control the iRobot Roomba 770 vacuum using an infrared remote control, or you can control it by combining it with the Wireless Control Center from just about any room in your house.
- Dual HEPA air filters: These trap the finest dust from circulating in your home and leave fresh air behind.
- Virtual Wall®: Navigating from one room to another, the 770 can be used with the Virtual Wall® that can block entry to areas which are off limits.
- Dust bin indicator: The 770 will let you know when the dust bin should be emptied.
- On-board schedule: You can pre-program cleaning sessions even when you’re not around.
- Touchpad: Easy to use and convenient.
- Compatible with all kinds of surfaces: The iRobot 770 is compatible with all kinds of surfaces and cleans carpets and all kinds of floors including hardwood, tile, linoleum, and cleaning vinyl floors.
- Re-charging: This is automatic with the Home Base re-charging station.
- Advanced head cleaner: This new feature has been noted in more than one iRobot 770 review. It provides superior cleaning performance in picking up dirt, dust bunnies, pet hairs, and other tiny particles.
- Battery life: The 770’s battery has been designed with a power management software for 50% more operational power than previous Roomba models.
What comes with it?
- Rechargeable battery with extended life power
- Battery charger
- 1 Home Base re-charging station
- 1 Extra HEPA filter
- Remote control
- Instructional DVD
- 2 cleaning brush tools (Note: the Virtual Walls would require 2C batteries each)
- Dimension: 13.9 inches
- Height: 3.6 inches
- Warranty: Manufacturer’s warranty depending on where the 770 is purchased; some offer a year’s warranty while others offer 30 days
Pros and Cons of the iRobot Roomba 770
- Cliff detectors have the technology to detect cliffs, stairs, and other drop-offs so it doesn’t fall down from heights or stairs.
- Motor is relatively quiet when the robotic vacuum is operational.
- Corners and edges are cleaned thoroughly with the 770’s technology that enables it to “follow” a wall’s nooks and crannies.
- Self-adjusting mechanism in the iRobot 770 provides optimized and thoroughly cleaning between all floor types.
- Extensive cleaning is done by its back-and-forth sweeping motion.
- Gets dirt, dust, grime, and tiny particles off curtains, under the furniture, and wall edges.
Even though this machine is well-loved in user reviews, there are a few things you may want to be aware of prior to making a purchase.
First, while it’s not as loud as some vacuum cleaners, some users say it’s definitely too loud to run at night when you’re trying to sleep. Other users say it’s fine, and they do run it while everyone in the house is sleeping, so it seems to depend more on the layout of your house if this would work for you.
Second, it’s powerful enough to suck up smaller cords. So, don’t leave your iPhone charger lying around on the floor, or you’re at risk of losing it.
Comparison to Other Roomba Models
Robotic vacuums are becoming more and more popular, but how is the technology progressing? Based on Roomba 770 review submissions by customers, this Roomba model is a great improvement over its predecessors. Here are some of the advantages which the 770 has that are not present in older models:
- HEPA filters: those in the 700 are able to capture particles as tiny as 0.2 microns faster.
- Soft-touch, molder bumper: household items — such as furniture — are protected even on contact with the 700 because of its bumper.
- Extended battery life: the 770 has 50% more battery life than older Roomba models.
- AeroVac Series 2: this technology, designed to be clog-resistant, gives the 770 more efficiency as it can pull tangled hair and other debris from brushes.
- Remote control: the inclusion of the remote control is a welcome bonus.
- Carrying handle: this makes it easier to transport the 770.
What People Say About the Roomba 770
Multi-pet owners gave iRobot Roomba 770 high review scores because of the excellent way it picks up cat and dog hairs. Customers appreciate that the 770 leaves their carpets and floors without any hair and, therefore, no smell.
The fact that it cleans the entire house even when the household is asleep – since there is little noise from the motor – has prompted customers to give highly favorable iRobot Roomba reviews to the 700 series.
Should You Buy the iRobot Roomba 770?
Notwithstanding the many iRobot 770 review submissions that rated it highly, this particular Roomba model is one of the best types of robotic vacuums available today. Like other Roomba models, the 770 provides the 3-Stage Cleaning System which is absent in other vacuum cleaners.
Unlike the Infinuvo CleanMate QQ-2L, for instance, the 700 resumes its cleaning task after it has been on Home Base. The 700, again, unlike the Infinuvo CleanMate QQ-2L, offers pre-programming cleaning scheduling for up to seven sessions in a week.
If your decision will be partly based on an iRobot 700 series vacuum vs a similarly-purposed brand like Infinuvo CleanMate QQ-2L, the former has the following advantages:
- It is 7 millimeters narrower.
- The 700 adjusts its height automatically to be able to clean all floor types.
- Less noise is audible at 10dB; audible noise refers to the sound produced by a device when it operates.
- The 700 has 50 more minutes running time and works longer even without charging.
- The 700’s virtual barrier prevents its entry into specific areas due to the transmitted signals from the floor stands to halt whenever it has reached a predetermined location.
Take a look at the iRobot Roomba 770 review submissions from customers who have actually purchased and used this Roomba model; 533 customers gave it a 5-star Amazon rating, for starters, with a majority of that number being pet owners.
From those reviews, you can already have an idea that the 770 is one of the best robotic vacuum cleaners that money can buy. The dust bin indicator, HEPA filters, and longer battery life are only some of the improvements that make purchasing the 700 a real investment.
More than for any other group of consumers, the iRobot Roomba 770 is perfect for pet owners because of its excellent capacity for eliminating pet hairs, especially those which are tangled. With all those improvements, the 770 can be considered not merely a more excellent vacuum but one smart robot as well. The irobot roomba 880 is now a popular new model.